WhatsApp is one of the widely used messaging apps across the world. However, sometimes, there might be a need to uninstall it from your device. If you feel the need to uninstall Whatsapp from your device, follow the steps below to do so.
How to Uninstall WhatsApp from Android device
Before you proceed, you may need to backup your WhatsApp chats incase you change your mind later.
- Open WhatsApp from your home page
- Launch your WhatsApp settings by tapping on the WhatsApp menu (3 vertical dots at the top-right)
- Select ‘Settings’ from the options listed
- Tap on ‘Chats’ from the options >> tap on ‘Chat backup’
- Choose a backup account, preferably your registered Google account
- Tap on ‘BACK UP’ to back up your WhatsApp chat
Solution 1: Uninstall from Google Play
- Launch your Google Play Store
- Tap on the menu options at the top-left of the Play Store page (three horizontal bars)
- Tap on ‘My apps & games’ >> ‘INSTALLED’
- Scroll through the list of installed apps
- Tap on ‘WhatsApp’ >> tap on ‘UNINSTALL’ to begin the uninstallation process.
Solution 2: Uninstall from Settings
- Launch the Settings app of your mobile device
- Navigate through to ‘Apps’ and tap on it
- Search through the list of apps to locate WhatsApp
- Tap on ‘WhatsApp’ to direct you to its info page.
- On the ‘App info’ page, tap on ‘UNINSTALL’ >> ‘OK’ to uninstall WhatsApp from your device.
Uninstalling WhatsApp from iOS devices
Follow these steps to backup your WhatsApp chat on iOS device before your uninstall.
- Open your iOS device’s settings,
- Tap on your device’s profile name
- Select ‘iCloud’ from the listed options
- Enable both the ‘iCloud Drive’ and ‘WhatsApp’ in your ‘iCloud’ settings
- Back up your WhatsApp chat from your WhatsApp settings.
Note: In case you change your mind later in the future, you can restore your Whatsapp chats.
- Launch your iOS device’s settings >> tap on ‘General’
- On the ‘General’ page, tap on ‘iPhone Storage’
- Locate and select the ‘WhatsApp’ app
- Tap on ‘Delete app’ >> tap on ‘Delete’ to confirm your action.
If you intend keeping your data to reinstall ‘WhatsApp’ in future,
- Tap on the ‘Offload App’ instead of ‘Delete App’ to keep your documents and data after deleting WhatsApp
- Press the home button of your device
- Hold down the WhatsApp app till it wriggles
- Tap on the ‘x’ in a circle on the ‘WhatsApp’ icon to delete.
- Tap on ‘Delete’ to confirm your action.
- Press the home button to cancel the delete action initiated on other apps.
Was this helpful?