Android users encounter series of Play Store issues most notably the error 944 problem. This error occurs most especially while updating app(s). Some of the popular apps affected by this issue include WhatsApp, SnapChat, Facebook Messenger, YouTube, PUBG, Pokemon Go, and others.
“Whenever users attempt to update the app(s) either automatically or manually, the error message displays in a prompt: “Update for ‘App-name’ could not be downloaded due to an error (944)”.
If you also experience the same fate, don’t worry, we will show you the best methods to fix this issue once and for all.
Fix: Google Play Store Error 944
Method 1: Check your internet connection
Unstable internet connection can affect the app update process thereby resulting in the Play Store error 944 prompt display.
Basic workarounds to resolve this issue includes:
- Restart your internet connection. You can easily do this by disconnecting from the internet and then reconnecting again.
- Switch your mode of internet connectivity. You can do this by alternating your mode of internet connection either from mobile data to Wi-Fi or Vice Versa.
- Use multiple internet connection. You can connect to the internet using both mobile data as well as well as Wi-Fi altogether.
This should resolve the error 944 problem. But, if you still come across the error (which is rare), you may proceed to the next available solution.
Method 2: Clear Cache and Data
You should clear cache and data for Play Store and related apps so as to fix the error 944 issue.
Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Settings > Go to Applications
- Now, find the Google Play Store app > Clear Cache and Data
- Next, tap on Force Stop. This prevents Play Store from running in the background.
- Also, Locate the Google Play Service and then Clear Cache and Data
- Next, Locate Google Services Framework and then Clear Cache and data
- Repeat the same process for Download manager.
- Then, restart your device.
Note: After following the enumerated steps above, you can then launch Play Store so as to update available app(s). If the problem still persists, you may need to reinstall the concerned app(s) so as to bypass the error problem.
Hope you were able to solve the Google Play Store 944 error problem? Let us know by dropping a comment below.