A Facebook profile may not be as secure as most users think; however, users can alter their privacy settings by following the simple steps outlined below.
How to change your privacy settings on Facebook
Solution 1: Change your login password
- Launch your Facebook app or log in to your Facebook from a browser
- Tap on the drop-down icon at the top-right of your Facebook page
- Tap on ‘Security and Login’ at the far right of your Facebook page in your dashboard under ‘Settings’ >> ‘General’
- If you’re logged in on other devices, you can choose to log out of these devices in ‘Where You’re Logged In’ section
- You can your password in the ‘Login’ section by tapping/clicking on ‘Change password’. You can also adjust other settings related to your log in details.
Solution 2: Changing your privacy settings
- Head back to your Facebook settings >> click/tap on ‘Privacy’.
- There are two sections under the ‘Privacy Settings and Tools’
- ‘Your Activity’
- ‘Who can see your future posts?’ to change this setting, tap on ‘Edit’ and select the option that best suits you. Preferably you can select ‘Friends’.
- ‘Review all your posts and things you’re tagged in’ tap/click on ‘Use Activity Log’ to alter this setting
- ‘Limit the audience for posts you’ve shared with friends of friends or Public’ Clicking/tapping on ‘Limit Past Posts’ limits those who have access to your past posts only to your friends.
- ‘How People Find and Contact You’ there are five settings you can change to suit your privacy needs.
- ‘Who can send you friend requests?’ you can adjust this setting to ‘Friends of friends’ by clicking/tapping on ‘Edit’ and making your choice from the drop-down icon.
- ‘Who can see your friends list?’ you can ‘Edit’ this setting to choose who has access to your friend list.
- ‘Who can look you up using the email address you provided?’ you can control who has access to your email address from the ‘Edit’ tab and selecting your choice from the drop-down menu.
- ‘Who can look you up using the phone number you provided?’ this setting allows you to limit who has access to your phone number.
- ‘Do you want search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile?’ uncheck the box to prevent search engines from linking to your Facebook profile.
- ‘Your Activity’
Was this helpful?