Keeping in touch with our loved ones in this technology-driven age we live in is facilitated by the social network type of application. There are many messenger type apps, such as WhatsApp. Viber, Hangouts, Skype, and many more.
The subject of debate in this article will be between WhatsApp and Viber, whether you should choose one over the other or should you use both, that’s up to you. This article will give you an insight into the advantages and disadvantages of the two.
What we like about them
- Both of them are free to download
- Viper and WhatsApp provide End-to-end encryption(E2EE) meaning that your providers or any third-parties will not be able to “eavesdrop” on any of your conversations
- Video calls and Groups are available options for both of them
- Both work on almost every mobile device and personal computers
- They both support 3G, 4G and Wi-fi connections
- Both of them allow the sharing of media files such as photos, documents, spreadsheets, audio, and video clips.
In this category, WhatsApp has the edge for it’s user-friendly and easy to use interface, making the user feel comfortable and in charge over the app. Viber is a bit different in this aspect because of its rich interface that is filled with stickers.
Aside from the supported platforms, such as iOS, Android, Windows and Mac; WhatsApp can be accessed through a web app on your computer, and Viber has a Chrome extension in the Chrome Web Store.
The quality of Voice and Video Calls
An essential aspect of these two apps is the voice call quality. Viber offered the option for video calls for many years by now, putting WhatsApp at a disadvantage by having more experience and providing HD-quality voices through high-bandwidth connections. Video calling is the same on both apps so you can choose either.
Both of the apps have end-to-end encryption over your messages and your calls, so your privacy is assured.
The award goes to…
The loser remains to be determined because either WhatsApp or Viber is not one. Both services offer a great variety of services for their free approach towards their customers, and the answer for this showdown lies with the users. We presented you in this article with the advantages and disadvantages of both, so go ahead, try them both and decide for yourself.